The fort featured prominently in the conflicts between the Deccan Sultanates in the post Bahamani period. In later days it was captured by Malik Ambar in 1014 Hijri and was renamed by him as Ambarapur which was later changed to Amrapur.
Places of Interest
The fort is situated in a depression surrounded by high ground on all the sides so that from its highest point one can have a view of the approaching armies even at a great distance while the main parts of the fort remain hidden from the latter. Almost square in shape, the fort has a moat or khandak (ditch) around, nearly 36.58 metres (120 ft) in width, now nearly dry.
Fort has a glacis, a retaining wall, a covered way, a double rampart fortified further with massive bastions, which are mostly semi-circular mounted with huge cannon. Some of these guns bear the names of Turkish engineers in service under Adil Sahi and Nizam Sahi kings. At present there are no buildings of any note except for a recent Baradari constructed by Colonel Meadows Taylor on a circular bastion of the fortification adjoining the first inner gateway of the fort.
There are some badly abraded Nilgari inscriptions fitted into the stone masonry of the guard rooms. One of them records the name of Murtaza Nizam sah and the date 1529. Besides the other buildings, there is the usual Pani mahal in a ruined condition, quite a few large wells now unused, a mosque and a dargah of one Sayyad Sadat.
Outside the fort is an old Jama mosque and in the prayer niche are two inscriptions in Persian, which record the names of Emperor Aurangzeb and Sohrab Khan, the builder of the mosque. It was built in 1680.
How to Reach
Ausa, with 10,007 inhabitants in 1961 is the headquarter of the tahsil of the same name, situated 20 kilometres to the south-west of Latur, near the head of a small tributary of the Tavarja.
fort covers a little over five hectares (13 acres) in area and lying 3:21 km (2 miles) due south of the inhabited locality.